Founded in 1865 as Yarrow & Company. Acquired Blythswood Shipbuilding Company in 1964. Merged with other upper Clyde yards in 1968 to form Upper Clyde Shipbuilders but withdrew in 1970. Nationalised in 1977 as part of British Shipbuilders but subsequently privatised in 1985 through acquisition by GEC Marconi. Marconi was sold in 1999 to British Aerospace to form BAE Systems with Yarrow forming part of BAE Systems Surface Ships since 2009.