Founded in 1903 as Ferguson Brothers and acquired by the Scott Lithgow group in 1961. Nationalised as part of the state owned British Shipbuilders in 1977 and merged with Ailsa Shipbuilding in 1980 to form Ferguson-Ailsa. The companies demerged in 1986 and the yard was instead merged with the only remaining nationalised yard, Appledore Shipbuilders to form Appledore Ferguson. Privatised as Ferguson Shipbuilders in 1989 the yard has continued under a number of different owners until it was placed in administration in 2014 and subsequently purchased by Clyde Blowers Capital and renamed Ferguson Marine Engineering. In 2019 the company was about to be placed into administration again when it was nationalised by the Scottish Government as Ferguson Marine (Port Glasgow).